Wednesday, December 23, 2009

#39 - Mr. Romantic

I’m Yours - Jason Mraz


I put the finishing touches on the dinning room as I waited for Jespin to show up. I had left the food in the oven to warm; it didn’t look very good, and I wasn’t sure how it was going to taste - but I was positive I’d get an ’A’ for effort.
The dinning room table was set with a white linen cloth, running the full length of the king size surface. The plates and silverware - that I had bought specifically for tonight - were set on the table, the same way as they had been at the store.

Tomorrow we were leaving for New York and I wanted to make sure that everything was perfect; or at least that it looked perfect for tonight.
I heard the front door open and ran my hands through my hair, trying to tame it as I headed towards the front hallway. “Look at you all fancy…” Jespin laughed as I came into view; nodding towards my outfit.
I wasn’t actually that dressy - black denims and a grey collard shirt - compared to her though, I supposed that I did look over dressed.
She was wearing a fitted red, plaid shirt and a pair of grey baggy sweatpants that were tucked unceremoniously into a pair of over-sized, brown, suede boots.
Her hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, looses pieces stuck out all over the place; giving her the look of someone who’d just rolled around in the sac. The thought had my heart rate increasing.

I grinned as she moved towards me, opening my arms and accepting her in a tight hug. “Did you bring your bag?” I asked, referring to the things she’d need with her for the next few days.

“Yah, I just left it in my car though… so… are you going somewhere?”

I shook my head and let her out of my arms, grabbing for one of her hands instead.
I pulled her after me, into the dimly lit dinning room, watching her reaction with smiling eyes. She inhaled deeply, biting down her lip as she took a timid step into the room. Her eyes moved around slowly, taking in every detail as a smile danced around the edge of her lips. “Alex…” She breathed slowly, finally turning around to look at me. “Did you do this?”

I nodded sheepishly. “I just wanted to show you how much I appreciate you…” I said lamely, feeling foolish for trying to explain my feelings to her.

“I can’t believe you did this… thank you!” She threw her arms around my neck and I grabbed for her; enthusiastically enough that I lifted her right off the floor.
My tongue swept around her mouth as she wrapped her legs around my waist. I spun around to get a better grip on her, pushing her back against the wall until I could hold her up with just the pressure of my body against hers.
I brought my hands around to the front of her shirt, grabbing at the buttons and trying to undo them. Giving up, I took hold if the fabric, pulling it in opposite directions until I felt the buttons give.
Her shirt fell open without the round restraints to hold it in place, and I moved away from her lips; my mouth falling down onto her soft flesh. “Oh god… is something burning?” She panted, causing me to pull away from her.

“Shit!” I groaned, letting her back down onto her feet before I dashed off into the kitchen.

Black smoke was pouring out of the oven causing me to sigh. Checking the temperature I realized that I had inadvertently turned it up, instead of down. I sighed again, hitting the ‘off’ button and pulling the door open slowly.
The burnt smelling smoke burned my throat, and I slammed the door closed again. “You opposed to take-out?” I shouted over my shoulder.

“No… and I’m sorry your dinner’s ruined.” She said softly as she walked up behind me. Her arms snaked around my waist and I felt her press her cheek up against my back. “At least we can still eat at the table…”
I nodded, trying to keep the smile off my face. Now I got the points because she saw what I was trying to do, but she won’t take any away from tasting my awful food. It was pure win.

“Hey Ovie! Come on! Let’s get drunk!” I groaned as the front door slammed open and Greener’s voice filled my house. He wasn’t alone either; pretty soon I could hear other people laughing and carrying on as the moved down the hall towards us.

“Quick Mike, go long!” I heard Feds shot, before the sound of running could be heard. I spun around, pulling Jespin behind me as the sound of crashing echoed out loudly.

“Oops…” Greener said sheepishly as I walked around the corner of the dinning room to see him laid out, half the plates, shattered around him on the floor around him.

Jespin suppressed a giggle behind me and I turned around to look at her. She had her hands up in front of her face and was staring at Greener. “I’m sorry but… that’s funny…” She snorted, her body shaking with laughter.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her against me as Greener started pulling himself off the floor. The rest of the guys filed in and I felt myself blushing.
So Brooks had already known I was going to do something romantic, that wasn’t so bad; them actually seeing my attempts fall short - not so good.
I nuzzled my face into the top of Jespin’s hair, waiting for the colour in my cheeks to fade.

“Buttons… the arch-enemy of Neanderthals everywhere!” Brooks laughed, causing me to pull my face out of her vanilla smelling locks. I glanced down at Jespin who was now pulling the ripped pieces of fabric back around her in an attempt to cover herself. Shit… forgot about that… I sighed, grabbing onto her hand and pulling her out of their sight.

“Go upstairs and grab one of my shirts. I’ll see if I can get rid of them…” She nodded, running off towards the banister as I moved back towards the guys. “So… any reason you guys are here?” I didn’t want to sound like a dick, but I definitely wasn’t in the moods to hang out with them tonight.

“Yah we’re gonna party before we go to New York and destroy some Rangers!” Greener laughed, rolling his eyes like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Get drunk here?!” I asked incredulity, staring at the faces of my most rambunctious team-mates.

They nodded. “Coach said we weren’t allowed to go out to the bars so…” Semi shrugged at me. “We brought beer, vodka… and Brooksy is ordering some pizza.”

I glanced at Brooks who was now talking into his cell phone, ticking away toppings on his fingers. I exhaled, defeated as I heard Jes running back down the stairs. “Awww you didn’t have to get all dressed up for us!” Feds laughed as she came around the corner wearing one of my over-sized workout shirts.

“Yah, you look hot in red lace.” Brooks added as he flipped his phone shut, causing Jes to blush at the reminder that everyone in the room now knew what bra she was wearing.


The guys were drunk; drunker than drunk. They were so intoxicated, I was honestly impressed that they hadn’t broken anything so far - although there had been a few close calls with the Rockband guitars.
I laid back on the couch with Jespin; watching the guys jump around and sing along to songs that they didn’t know; or weren’t in any condition to remember.

I snaked my arms around her, pulling her closer to me, whispering into her ear. “So much for a romantic evening, huh?”

She giggled against me, tilting her head so that she could kiss my jaw. “It was the thought that counted anyway…” She explained

“Mmm…” I sighed, moving her around until I could kiss her. “And how much did it count?”
She let out an airy laugh as her legs slid over my lap. Exhaling I brought my lips down against her neck, feeling the heat of her skin under mine as I began to kiss her softly.

“Alex…” She mumbled, gently pushing on my chest. I could feel the apprehension that was radiating out of her body; diluted only by the fact that she didn’t actually want me to stop. “Alex… your team-mates…” She pressed, finally causing me to pull away slightly.

“You’re right…” I sighed, looking around the group of guys that were still oblivious to Jespin and I. There was no way I’d ever get rid of all of them, and I wasn’t dumb enough to try.
Deciding on the best course of action I grabbed Jespin in my arms and lifted her off the couch. She let out a squeal as I reached the stairs, still not loud enough to gain the attention of anyone around us.


I kicked my bedroom door shut behind me as I tossed Jespin down onto the bed; turning back around to lock the door handle, before jumping down beside her. “You’re not being a very good host right now…” She giggled as a cuddled up beside her.

“Yah well, tonight was suppose to be about you.” I sighed, running my fingers along her side, worshipping in the feel of her curves through my shirt. She stifled a yawn and I halted my hand; smiling at her as I grabbed for the covers. I pulled them down and watched her crawl towards the pillows; tugging off her sweats once she was there.
I got off the bed and turned of the light - without a second thought for the guys downstairs - crawling back into bed beside her.

I could tell she was tired, but she didn’t want to disappoint me or let me down. I caught her roaming hands before they could reach my boxers; tugging them towards my face and kissing each one before I released them again. “Not gonna let me say thank you for making me dinner?” She said as she settled in beside me.

“Oh don’t worry, I won’t forget… you’re tired though, sleep babe.” She yawned again and I wrapped my arms around her, spooning into her back as I closed my eyes. “Besides…” I whispered after a few minutes of listening to the distant sounds of a poorly sung Misery Business, “we’ve got all the time in the world.”

5 comments:

  1. Once again, best quote EVER: “Buttons… the arch-enemy of Neanderthals everywhere!”

    I can has an Ovie? Seriously, what a great guy. He tried so hard, so he gets MAJOR points. Cooking dinner, buying and setting up the place settings just like in the store (cracked me up, that did!), and even dressing up kinda for Jespin. And then that last line, "we've got all the time in the world." I... ugh... /sigh. He's perfect. Honestly, truly, I think Ovie's beyond perfect. Just amazing. I'm swooning, like I'M the one in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha my ex did that for me. I walked into our apartment and it reminded me vaguely of target. Very cute, and Ovie? I need me on of those cavemen(: Wonderful chapter, very cute but still very funny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ovie's gotta be the cutest caveman in the world right now! *Sigh* I actually want one :P I don't know how Jespin does it, I'd be weak in the knees everytime he came around!

    “Buttons… the arch-enemy of Neanderthals everywhere!”
    ^^I fucking adore Brooks! That line had me crying with laughter. Wonderful as always, Zigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the points because she saw what I was trying to do, but she won’t take any away from tasting my awful food. It was pure win.

    WINNNNNNNNNNN

    ps I was the anon from a few chapters ago, finally signed in to my blogspot!!

    I'm a year behind...SOOO what. LOVEEEE.

    ReplyDelete