Thursday, December 10, 2009

#24 - Christmas Surprise

With Or Without You - U2(Cover)


I had lied to Jespin; no one was coming to spend Christmas with me, and I preferred it that way.
It wasn’t that I didn’t get along with my parents; in fact, I loved them both very much - for that reason I stayed away.

It was my brother, he was gone and it was my fault. Because of him; his support, his love, and his time - I was an NHL superstar. Because of me; he was never coming back.
Christmas use to be a big deal at my house; everyone would get together and we would celebrate. Now, it was too painful. When my parents and I sat together, the absence of my brother would crash down upon us, until we couldn’t sit in the same room any longer. I avoided the pain I would cause them, by staying here, alone.


It wasn’t like I spent all my time with Jespin; it shouldn’t make a difference to me whether or not she was in the same state or not - but it did.
It was Christmas, the 25th of December. Jes had been gone since the 19th, and wasn’t due back for three more days; I was loosing my mind. Of course I had spent some time with a few of the local boys; drinking and partying. Nothing could get her out of my head though, not even strong vodka.

It was a little after nine in the evening when I found myself sitting at the kitchen table; the cordless phone resting on the polished oak surface. I exhaled loudly before reaching out for it, punching in a few numbers and waiting.
“Hello?”

“Hey Jes.” I said; feeling complete relief as her voice filtered through the phone line.

“Oh… hey! What’s up?”

I couldn’t help but grin; she sounded as excited as I felt. “Not a lot, just thought I would give you a call… Merry Christmas and all that…”

“Yah… you too. So how was your Christmas? Are your parents still there?”

“No. They had to leave earlier. Umm… it was alright I guess, can’t wait to get back on the ice though.”

She giggled, a sound that caused my heart to expand slightly. “Always about the hockey with you guys… my little brother‘s been making me play goalie since I got here.”

“He probably just wants an excuse to hit pucks at you.” I laughed, trying to keep the conversation going.

“Mmhmm… that’s what I’m thinking too. Austin! I’m on the phone… go find Lauren… well if she won’t play, you’re gonna have to wait then… ugh.” The last part I could hardly make out, but it still had me smiling. “I’m so sorry Alex, can you hold on for one second?” I agreed, listening intently as she moved through her house. She chatted to another girl for a second before calling out for her father.
After a few minutes she was back. “Sorry about that… really… my brother doesn’t stop until he gets what he wants.”

“You’re dad’s gonna play hockey with him?” I asked sceptically, picturing some rich, white-collared man trying to block a shot.

“Yah… why? Is that weird?” She asked quickly.

I shrugged to myself. “No, it’s kinda cool actually… my dad wouldn’t have played hockey with me.”

“Oh well, my dad’s like a giant six-year-old sometimes so… hockey’s always good-”

“Oh you’re on the phone?” A man voice cut across the line. Apparently her dad had picked up the phone.

“Yes, I’m on the phone.” Pause. “Dad! Get off!”

“Who are you talking to? Is it a boy?”

Jespin groaned loudly as I stifled my laughter with my hand. “Dad!”

“Is it your boyfriend?”

“Ok… I’m getting mom…” She threatened, huffing.

“Hey, I’m just trying to get in on the down-low. Keepin it fresh.” I lost it at that, unable to stop my laughter anymore. I moved the receiver away from my face and started laughing loudly.
When I brought the phone back up to my face, they were still arguing. “-but I am cool… I’m down with kids Jes. I know how it is.”

“Dad!” She whined, completely forgoing any attempt at maintaining dignity; it worked though. With a chuckle her dad got off the line; the phone clicked and then went silent. “Alex?”

“Yah, I’m still here.” I snorted, laughing again.

“Good, and please don’t laugh at him… it’s only encourages him… I’m so sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it… by the sounds of it, I’m assuming you had a fun trip home?”

She giggled at that. “Yah, I guess. I can’t wait to leave though…”

“Of course… why would you want to stay in Pittsburgh when I’m here?” I grinned, hearing her sigh on the other side of the line.

“Why indeed.”

I took a deep breath and tried to sound nonchalant as I asked the one question I’d be wondering about all week. “So… that guy bugging you at all?”

“Oh, him? No. He actually went home for the whole break so… not too bad.”

I grinned, nodding to myself before answering. “Well that’s good… and you were so stressed. Told you I was the best problem solver.”

“Yes, I bet it’s all thanks to you that he’s not here…” She laughed; I could picture her rolling her eyes, and biting her lip like she always did.
Suddenly, I missed her more than ever. I missed her so much, that I could actually admit to it. It was amazing how clearly I could picture her in my mind, and how badly I wanted to hold her again. Suddenly, I felt overcome with emotion. “Umm… well I should let you go then… before someone else needs your attention.” I chuckled, trying not to sound any different.

“Sure… I’ll see you in a few days.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thinking Out Loud - Leslie Roy


I hung up the phone and leaned back against the kitchen wall, smiling to myself. I had honestly assumed he’d forgotten all about me. Hearing his voice was almost like a weight being lifted off of me; pure relief.
The week had been a lot better than I thought. Part of me was very sad that I didn’t get to see Sidney; but a bigger part of me was happy that I didn’t have to deal with him during this break.

My parents could already tell something was off about me; Sidney would have pressured me into telling him what it was - something I desperately didn’t want to do.
At that thought, I figured it was time to carry out my plan. I needed someone that I could talk to who knew everything. Someone who knew about my relationship with Sidney better than anyone; someone that knew me better than anyone.


“Mom… could I talk to you for a minute?” I asked, pushing open the door to my parents bedroom.

“Sure Jes… what‘s up?” I exhaled slowly as I walked into her room, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Everything ok honey?”

“Yah, I’m fine… great actually…” I laughed nervously, twisting a strand of hair around my finger. I glanced up at my mother who was setting her book aside, staring at me through raised eyebrows. “If I tell you something, do you promise you won’t tell dad?”

“Ok…” She said slowly.

“Mom, I met a boy.” I cringed, unsure of how she‘d react to this.

“Oh my God! Who is he? What’s he like? Is he cute? How did you meet him!?” I peeked at her, catching sight of her grinning broadly.

I shook my head at her enthusiasm, smiling slightly before I answered. “Ok calm down… just remember that you promised not to tell dad ok?” She laughed in agreement as I tried to figure out how she‘d handle the fact that I was talking about Alex. “Umm… his name is Alex. He’s, well… hard to describe. I met him through work…”

“He works for the Capitals?” My mom asked leaning forward, now completely enthralled in our conversation.

“Umm… he is a capital…”

“He’s… oh… OH!… oh…” I shifted uncomfortably as her tone and expression went from confusion, to comprehension, to unease. “Do you… Alex as in… Ovechkin, Alex?”

“Yes…”

“Hmm… maybe I shouldn’t tell Sidney that either… or any of the boys for that matter. Is he any better looking in person?” She paused for a minute as my stomach did a flip-flop and I shook my head. “Does he know who your father is?”

“No…” I sighed, trying to explain to her why that was.

“Well, just be careful.” She said before I could explain. “As long as you’re happy, I’m happy but… I just don’t want you to get hurt.” I smiled at the genuine support in her voice.

“Do you think I’m making a huge mistake?” I asked quietly, dreading the answer.

She sighed and looked away thoughtfully. “Do you like him?” I nodded. “Does he like you?”

“I guess so…” I shrugged, searching for a way to describe our relationship. “We haven’t really talked about that yet. I mean, I think he does…”

“I can’t tell you what to do Jes, and I can’t tell you what the right thing is… only you know that.” I nodded, crawling up beside her. “Mistakes aren’t always bad honey. Sometimes that best things that happen to us, come from the mistakes that we make.” She giggled as she shifted, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. “Like marrying your father… that was the biggest mistake of my life, but I wouldn’t have you without it.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the door to see my dad scowling at her. “Mistake.” He snorted, trying to not smile. “Who are you trying to fool? Everyone knows you only use me for my body.”

“That’s disgusting. I’m gonna go now…” I blushed, scooting myself of the bed and moving past my dad.
I heard them laughing as I headed quickly down the hall, not stopping until I reached my room.



I sighed as I headed back out towards the lobby of the Verizon Center, completely bewildered. Where is everyone? I knew that a lot of the guys were already back; even if the Christmas break wasn’t officially over till Friday.
I was back earlier then planned; and was looking forward to surprising Alex. For the first time ever, he was impossible to find.

I turned the last corner and saw a familiar face come through the front doors; one I wasn’t hoping to see ever again.
Masha walked quickly, her blond hair sway out behind her as she confidently moved towards one of the hallways. My breath caught in my throat as I wondered what her presence meant.
Did Alex know she was here? Did Alex invite her here? Should I be following her? Should I say anything to her? Should I do something about this, or pretend that I never saw anything?

I spun around, completely unsure as to what my next move would be. No, no, no… I chanted in my head, spinning back around. I walked quickly towards the doors, needing to get as far away from here as possible.
I threw open the first door and collided with a sturdy body. I would have fallen to the ground, if the muscular arms, attached to the body didn’t catch me.
I looked up and my breath caught in my throat, causing me to squeak out the name. “Sidney?”

13 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! What is Sid doing there?? Can't wait to see what happens!!!! And I thought her dad was so cute when she was on the phone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting on my couch 100% slack jawed now! Ugh!! WHAT? Sidney??

    Uh oh... Masha and Sidney within 5 minutes of each other... this can't be good.

    I LOVED the Lesley Roy song... sigh... so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UUGGGHHHHHHH Damn cliffhanger man!!!

    Okay so first, LOVE Mario. That was so funny!!
    Second, Ovie... oh Ovie, you managed to be cute this chapter.
    Third, SIDNEY, WTF?!?!?!

    I won't be able to read tomorrow night, and this has me all flustered. I'm gonna have to find a way!! AAHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Hey, I’m just trying to get in on the down-low. Keepin it fresh."

    first i laughed for the next ten minutes upon reading that... next i googled how hard it would be to get adoption papers sent out to mario for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Hey, I’m just trying to get in on the down-low. Keepin it fresh.”
    ^^Okay so I had to quote that too. Needless to say, I'm STILL laughing about it. I love my parents to death, but I kind of wish Mario was my dad hahaha.

    Ugh, Zigh! You're totally making me love Ovie! You need to stop writing him so damn cute right now! :p

    And! Holy cliffhanger!!! I'm gonna be DYING until I see what the eff Sid is doing there!!!

    Love this update!<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 mario is awesome...haha he might actually be my fav character lol

    duh duh duuuuuuuhhhh...why is sid there!!!! you are killing me =]

    btw- it made me very sad that she was mostly happy that sid wasnt at christmas..very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I looked up and my breath caught in my throat, causing me to squeak out the name. “Sidney?” "
    ==============================================

    Oh. Snap.



    Poor Siddy. Jespin's out of her freaking mind. Geat post.

    -elle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm confused haha
    oh well i'll get it by the next chapter I hope(:
    and Mariabprice, the adoption papers are very hard to get, believe me I tried it. The adoption place I called does. not. like. me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ovie, you were so G.D.ed adorable in this post. I, too, cannot wait until you can hold Jespin again. :)

    May I please formally present Mario with the Best Dad Ever Award? I love him so much I can't stand it. LOVE.

    Also, her mother was great. Favorite line: “Mistakes aren’t always bad honey. Sometimes that best things that happen to us, come from the mistakes that we make.” Seriously, I got chills, and not just because it's freezing in my office. I feel like she was giving ME advice, so thanks Mrs. Lemieux!

    And I have to say it: Holy cliffhanger, Batman! My guess is that Sid's there because he missed Jespin over break. But I wonder if disaster will strike or be averted... Ugh, I can't wait to find out!

    This may have been my favorite chapter so far. Had be laughing and tearing up, all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :( no shout out for me.

    sad times

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL
    Loved the way you portrayed Mario.
    Funny how Alex didn't recognize his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ZIGh!!!!! You made me drop my gatorade when I read "Sidney?". I am just thankful it wasn't my cell phone. But still, this is ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mario reminds me a lot of my dad in this chapter. That is the kind of stuff he does

    ReplyDelete