Thursday, December 3, 2009

#17 - More Jewellery, Okay... Why Not?

Hello lovies! Alright... this one... not so exciting, BUT, exciting things in the future... don't hate the fillers lol.
And, I was also wondering... how do you guys feel about me using Russian? I mean, my translations aren't the best because I'm only a beginner but, are you fine with the way things are, or would you rather me include the English translation in the post as well...? Just add what you want to the comment! Cheers!


Sarah - Ray Lamontagne


I was pretending to be asleep on the way home from Geno‘s that night; that’s how much of a coward I was. I tried to allow my body to flop as much as possible, while Sidney held me bridal-style; moving me in through the front door of my house.
He climbed the stairs slowly, doing his best not to jostle me, as he carried me to my bedroom.

Trying to play up the part, I murmured softly as he laid me on my bed. After I was out of his arms I felt his weight shift the bed as he nestled in beside me. I relaxed slightly, hoping that we could just go to sleep and get through this.
His arm draped over my waist and he pulled himself closer to me; until his body was perfectly shaped around mine.

I held my eyes shut until I heard him let out a muffled snore; his grip loosening on me slightly and allowing me to move my hand down without gaining his attention.
I stretched it out in front of me; holding it in the dim light of the moon as it shinned in through my window - the pale luminosity glowing back off the large green ring that was still resting securely on my right hand.

I still found it large and slightly ungodly, but it’s wasn’t so bad. In fact, when it wasn’t reflecting a million rainbows everywhere, it was almost nice.
Maybe it wasn’t the ring's fault that it was so loud; after all if the sun would just play fair like the moon, and not be so bright - I would probably love it.
It did fit good after all. I wasn’t one for wearing jewellery, but this was comfortable; to the point where I didn’t feel right without it.
So it’s over the top; really, there’s nothing wrong with that. I mean, what’s the point of wearing jewellery if you don’t want people to look at it?
I nodded slightly, my eyes still focused on the green emerald; no, I take it back… this ring is perfect, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

I drew my arm back in, resting my hand on the pillow in front of my face. Oksana is right… it is my life. Dad would want me to be happy and make my own decisions, and Sidney would want the same thing for me… I think…

At what cost though? I rolled over onto my back, glancing sideways at the sleeping boy beside me. Is a chance at a relationship, worth losing someone that means so much?
If only I could see into the future; see my choices, and where each one would end up - the good and the bad. I just wanted someone to tell me what the right thing to do was.
I couldn’t please everyone, and I wasn’t dumb enough to try. The problem wasn’t that, the problem was trying to figure out whose happiness mattered the most… who deserved it the most.



“I can’t believe that you’re going back already! It’s like we never even got the chance to do anything!” My mom sighed as she held me tightly. “We’ll have to take a trip down to visit you… get some shopping in.” I nodded against her embrace, trying my best not to cry.
I missed my mom a lot, and leaving all over again wasn’t helping my emotional resolve.

We didn’t have the same kind of relationship that my father and I had; because we were two very different people.
Like my father, I tried to analyze things; make proper decisions. I tried to be disciplined and stay calm under pressure; think with my brain and not with my heart - something I had never had a problem with until recently. The only difference was that I didn’t push myself as hard as he did.

But that was where my mother came in. She was his opposite; my opposite. She was loving, carefree and lawless. She didn’t think there was a problem in the world that couldn’t be fixed with a hug and ice cream - my father was a tad more rational than that. That’s why they were so perfect though.
Where one was out-going and driven, the other was kind and sentimental. Where one was all about work and logic, the other was ruled by happiness and dreams. They completed each other, in the best sort of way.
That’s what I needed though. Someone emotional and passionate, out-going and juvenile; my opposite.

“Nathalie, she’s going to be late if you don’t let her go.” My dad jested, tugging me gently away from my mom. “She’ll be back for Christmas.” He tried to state calmly, but even he couldn’t mask the melancholy in his voice.

My mom gave me one last kiss goodbye before I followed him out the door, towards his truck. “Be safe Jes, and remember… if you want to come home sooner, we’re just a phone call away.” I nodded, and then it was his turn to crush me in a bear hug. “I love you.”

“I love you too dad. See you at Christmas.”

I climbed up into the cab beside Sidney, waving goodbye to my father before he turned around and headed back into the house. “Excited to get back?” He asked, a small grin playing on his lips.

“Why do you say that?” I asked, trying to sound casual.

He started to laugh loudly, causing me to raise my eyebrows. “You put your bags in the car at like… six in the morning…”

“Oh…” I cleared my throat and turned to look out the window. “I just didn’t want to forget anything…”

“You really love it there, don’t you?” He asked after a long silence.

“I guess so… yah… it kind of feels like a second home already you know? So much going on and stuff…” I rambled on, shutting up before he could get suspicious.

He nodded, never taking his eyes off the road. “Well, I’m glad that you’re happy.” He said, inhaling sharply before continuing. “Have you… given any thought… to us, I mean?”

“Ah…” I froze, unsure of what to say. Here I thought I was home safe, almost back to the airport; back to the safety of Washington where I didn’t have to answer this question. “I’ve had a lot of stuff on my plate.”

“Oh.” He nodded slowly, trying to shrug my comment off, nonchalantly.

“Sidney… I didn’t meant it like that…” I bit my lip, cringing slightly. “I just… I don’t think I’m really ready for that, you know? I do care about you, you know that right?” He nodded earnestly, still not looking at me. “I’d just rather wait till school was done and I come back… then we can actually talk about it, as opposed to me heading back to Washington…”

“Really?” He asked hopefully, his deep brown eyes finally turning to in my direction; a smile shinning playfully in them.

“Yes. Really.” I lied, giving him a genuine smile. Maybe that didn’t solve anything, but at least he looked happy… and I’ll take happy Sid over sad Sid any day…

“Oh, hey! I got you something…” He said, his entire face alight with excitement as he pointed at the glove compartment.

“Sidney! You didn’t have to get me anything… I hope you didn’t go overboard…”

He laughed loudly, shaking his head. “No. Don’t worry. I actually stole it… although, the girl behind the counter didn’t seem to mind so, it probably doesn’t count…”

He trailed off, leaving my curiosity peaked. I pulled on the latch and it dropped open, revealing a white plastic bag. Unrolling it I couldn’t help but start to giggle as the bracelet fell out into my lap. “I can honestly say… this is one I don’t have.”

“I know, it’s the new line… and I figure… since you’re wearing jewellery now…” He trailed off, smiling at me as I slid it over my wrist. “Now all those Capitals know who you really love.” He said smugly.

“I’ll make sure I wear it everyday.” I quipped, shaking my arms slightly as the bangles jingled in time. “Thanks Sid.”

“Like I said… it was free. Perks of being a hockey player… free bracelets whenever I want.” He winked, causing me to roll my eyes.

“Not just for this… dork.” I muttered the last part, just loudly enough that he could hear. “I mean for everything… for being so understanding…”
He shot me a lopsided grin, turning back around so that he was focused on the road.

“No probs. You know I’d do anything for you Jes…”

“Yah Sid, I know.”


I leaned back in the reclined plane seat; closing my eyes against the light that shone in through the tiny window.
Alex’s ring was shooting rainbows all over the small compartment; in an obnoxious sense. I was ninety-nine percent sure I had gone over this the night before; apparently neither the sun, nor optics were willing to compromise with me.
I opened my eyes and lifted my hand up. Taking the ring off and putting it away would solve the problem completely; but it wasn‘t worth the risk of losing it. I glanced down at the bracelet from Sidney; at least someone’s behaving… The sun played along, reflecting slightly off the coiled bracelet; enough to make it sparkle, but not enough to send rainbows bouncing all over the place.
Sighing, I turned the ring over until only the flat, platinum band was showing. The rainbows disappeared instantly, and I smiled to myself; dropping my hand back down in my lap.

Maybe Oksana was right… I shuddered to think about Sidney, and how wrong it was to pursue anything with Alex... Technically though, I wasn’t going behind his back. It did however, still feel secretive and criminal.
I couldn’t get her words out of my head as the plane glided through the air, taking me back to Washington. I glanced down at the shiny band, no one needed to know, not yet.
I could always give it a try, see what happens; figure out whether or not it’s even worth the fight, before bringing it up.

7 comments:

  1. "Maybe it wasn’t the ring's fault that it was so loud; after all if the sun would just play fair like the moon, and not be so bright - I would probably love it."
    ^^This line... was amazing. I can't tell you why, but it gives me shivers. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. This is perhaps the most poetic thing I've read since Shakespeare.

    "I couldn’t please everyone, and I wasn’t dumb enough to try."
    ^^Again, I just loved this.

    "She didn’t think there was a problem in the world that couldn’t be fixed with a hug and ice cream..."
    ^^You mean, there are problems that CAN'T be solved with hugs and ice cream? Damn. :)

    "and I’ll take happy Sid over sad Sid any day…"
    ^^Awww. I feel like now I get it why she's so reluctant to tell Sid. She really does care about him and want him to be happy, even if it means she has to be confused and stuck in a limbo. She cares THAT MUCH, but still, she's going to hurt them both if she doesn't tell him!

    I have to say, though, if I were in Jespin's position, I'd do the same thing. It's the "safe" thing to do. Safe doesn't always mean right... but I know exactly where she's coming from.

    I loved this update so, so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She needs ovie(:(:(: He could be the Nathalie to her Mario(: haha. Amazing amazing chapter. I feel bad for Sid though, the blow thats going to come when he finds out about her and Alex is going to bad, very bad. Because if Alex (arghhh I can't believe I'm calling him Alex) and Jes do start dating (pretty please? haha) then its not exatly going to be quiet, he will find out. From Mario, Geno, Oksana, the papers, somebody. I really like the russian so far, adds more to the story.
    And I've gotta admit, I can't wait for Alex and all the capitals to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story.
    Don't like ovie, but you're a great writer so i'll deal. :)
    Poor sid :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update! I understand why she doesn't want to hurt Sid but its going to happen with whats she is doing. Maybe she will come to her senses and realize Sid is the one she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH. Now I'm fully back for Sid. He's just... he's Sid for crying out loud! The kid can do no harm, well unless he walks by you naked and doesn't even say a word... that'd be jacked up.

    This chapter was just... awesome!! From her thoughts about her ring to the dynamics between Mario and Nathalie, seriously awesome!!

    Can't wait till tomorrow lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chapter!!!
    Ahhh the game is on gtg..ill make a better comment tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My comment is going to be poopy cuz I'm falling asleep at my computer. But you know I love it like always.

    I loved the dynamics between Nathalie and Mario. I could actually see that. haha!

    I still think she needs to tell Sid no. For her sanity and his.

    ReplyDelete