Wednesday, December 2, 2009

#16 - Russians

If I Had Eyes - Jack Johnson


The taxi drove up the long driveway slowly, taking me towards the home I hadn’t seen in over two months. I bounced impatiently in the back seat as I clutched onto my hand bag tightly.
I was early. My plane wasn’t suppose to have arrived till 3 PM, but I had gotten to the airport early and was able to catch the morning flight.

It was shortly after ten, and judging by the number of cars outside, no one was home. I sighed, getting out of the taxi and handing the drive a bundle of bills. He helped me pull my luggage out onto the pavement and then drove away, leaving me standing alone.
It felt surreal, like I had been gone for less than an hour, and a million years all at once. I sighed again before grabbing at the extended handle of my luggage, tugging it behind me.

I was pushing the door open to my room, before I even realized that something was off inside the house. I took a timid step onto the hardwood as my eyes grew wide. Every surface in my room was covered in unlit candles and rose petals; a result of the muscular boy standing in the middle of the floor. “I didn’t take you for a ’rose’ kind of guy… freesia maybe…” I quipped, causing him to jump in surprise.
He spun around, cheeky grin spreading across his face as he closed the gap between us in three big strides. Sidney’s arms wrapped around my waist, crushing me to his chest in a warm embrace. “… you’re breaking my ribs…” I managed to huff out, causing him to chuckle slightly as he loosened his grip.

“I’ve missed you so much Jes… I’m glad your home.” He said softly, nuzzling his face into the top of my head.

“I missed you too.” I replied with a grin; knowing that it was true. Of course there was the ramifications that would come from saying it out loud. I did miss Sidney, but not in the same way he missed me.
I was glad to be home because it meant that I got to spend time with my family, relax; well relax if you ignore the whole ’Sidney love triangle thing’… ugh love triangle… as if.

“So… you ruined my surprise but, I guess I can forgive you for that… if you promise to make it up to me later…” He grinned, wagging his eyebrows at me.

“We’ll see…” I chuckled softly, hoping he couldn’t hear the uncertainty in my voice. “So… where is everyone?” I asked calmly, trying to change the subject.

“Your mom is shopping with Lauren and the girls… Mario’s took Austin to hockey practice.” He moved his hands up to my face, tracing my jaw with his thumbs. “They said they won’t be back till later tonight, I think they wanted to give us some privacy.” Sidney grinned, bringing his lips down to mine.

Jesus… why not? I sighed against the kiss as Sidney’s hands slid around to the small of my back. What do I do now? I was hoping my family would be around so much that Sidney wouldn’t be able to do anything like this… of course if I told him that I wasn’t in love with him than he’d stop… but I was selfish, and couldn’t bring myself to say the words.
Instead I pushed away from him a bit; just enough that he couldn’t kiss me any more - not enough that he would feel rejected. “You know what we should do? Let’s go visit the guys!” I said with fake enthusiasm, attempting to smile. When Sidney didn’t answer I pressed on. “I mean… I haven’t seen them in so long… and I probably won’t get to see them too much…”

“Um, yah… alright.” He looked confused, but not angry or upset. He followed me down the stairs and together we hopped into his Range Rover; heading for Geno’s.



I stood with Oksana in the kitchen, watching Sidney, Geno, Jordan and Tyler playing Xbox in the living room. She let out a low sigh, leaning across the granite island towards me, “alright… what’s up?”

I took my eyes away from the boys to appraise her. “What do you mean?”

Rolling her eyes she gave me a mischievous grin, moving around to stand beside me. “According to Evgeni, Sidney and you…” She raised wagged her eyebrows, causing me to laugh loudly.

“Oh boy…” I sighed once the laughter was done. I could feel my face heating up to a dark crimson as the blond beauty continued to stare at me.

“You didn’t think he’d say anything about it?” She asked genuinely amused.

“Honestly? No… I didn’t…” I glanced into the living room, staring at the back of Sidney’s head. “He’s usually so personal…”

“It’s still sex though right?” She giggled, “of course they’re gonna talk about it. Not like Evgeni really understands most of it anyway…” She trailed off, her eyes sweeping the massive room, lovingly coming to land on the giant Russian; who was squeezed in beside Sidney on the couch.

I allowed her to zone out for a minute, while I let the new information wash over me. I felt annoyed, and I wasn’t sure why. It wasn’t like I should have expected anything different; he was a guy - so why wouldn’t he blab to his friends? I had told Beth, after all.
I didn’t think I would end up as locker-room chat though; maybe that’s what bothered me most…
“Anyway though,” Oksana sad, pulling me out of my contemplation. “Shouldn’t you be… a bit more excited about it?”

“I don’t know…” I shrugged, looking back at her and giving her a pitiful look.

“You don’t like him? I always though you guys were really close…?”

“We are… we were… just-”

“-just not like that?” She finished for me, causing me to nod in relief. Those four simple words caused me to feel that maybe I wasn’t out of my mind; at least she could understand where I was coming from.

“So are you going to tell him?” She asked softly, as the teakettle on the stove began to whistle. I shrugged as she walked towards it; pulling it off the burner and emptying it’s contents into two mugs on the counter.

We walked over towards the table and sat down; each of us clutching a hot mug in between our hands. “I don’t know what to do…” I replied quietly after a long silence. “I don’t want to hurt him but, I’m not in love with him.”

She sighed, looking away, deep in thought. “At least there’s no one else that you need to worry about, right?” She said jesting; trying to lighten the mood.
I bit my lip and looked away; hearing her take a sharp in take of breath. “Who? Someone in Washington?”

“It doesn’t matter… I’m not pursuing it.”

“What? Why not?” She whispered frantically across the table, her eyes full of concern. “Jespin, you can’t just not do anything. What’s his name?”

I couldn’t help but smile at the urgency and genuine curiosity in her voice. “It’s not important… anyway, I kind of left him… it’s just not going to happen.”

“Is he cute?” She squealed, leaning even further across the table; to the point that her chest was squished against the polished wood. I snorted into my tea, shaking my head slightly as my body shook with laughter. “Ugh! Come on Jes! Please?”

“No… it would not be a good idea…”

“Why? You think Sidney would get jealous?” She laughed, leaning back and bouncing in her seat. “It’s not like they’re ever gonna meet anyway! Come on, I promise I won’t say a word… not a word!”

“Promise?” She nodded quickly. “Seriously Sana, you can’t say anything… an-y-thing…” I was afraid to even say it out loud, but for some reason I felt like I should tell her. I knew that she wouldn’t tell anyone, and the fact that she actually knew Alex might actually be helpful. “Alex.” I whispered quietly, my eyes darting fearfully over to the living room where the boys were still playing around; completely oblivious to us.

“… you’re gonna have to be a bit more specific… I don’t know anyone from Washington. Well, aside from Nicolas and… oh… oh!” Her eyes opened wide as she stared at me. “Alex like… Alex?” I nodded numbly, suddenly regretting my proclamation. “Ovechkin?

“Look I know that that’s the worse idea ever and don’t worry I’m… why are you laughing?” I hissed as she covered her mouth with her hands, her body shaking with hysterics as she laughed loudly.
I glanced over at the room full of over-grown boys; they were still oblivious. “Sana!”

“Ok… I’m so sorry but… ebanatyi shit! That might be the greatest thing I’ve ever heard!” My mouth dropped open and I stared at her, completely taken off guard. “Ok.. Ok…” She took a few deep breaths; halting the laughter, but her smile stayed fixed in place. “I won’t say anything… promise. Can I just say one thing to you though?” I nodded, signalling for her to continue with my hands. “Go for it.”

I raised my eyebrows, wondering whether or not I had heard her correctly. “I’m sorry… what?”

“Look, don’t ever tell Evgeni because they don’t get along too well, but I’ve known Alex for a while. Down below the ego and narcissism - he’s a good guy. A good guy that makes very, very poor choices where women are concerned. You could be the one that sets him straight…” She finished smugly, nodding to herself.

“Ok, now I know you’re out of your mind. Could you imagine what they would say?” I spat, my hands gripping the edge of the table as I attempted to hold my emotions in check.

She shrugged her tiny shoulder nonchalantly. “Them? What about them? This is your life Jespin.”

“It’s not that simple… the things people would say-”

“And you’re going to let that stop you? Look at who you’re talking to! Think about what all those people say about me… do I look upset to you? No, I don’t. You know why? Because I’m smart, pretty, 21, and I am in love with a man that loves me back… they’re jealous.”

“Aren’t you like, 26?”

Sana let out an loud, angry sigh as folded her arms across her chest. “I’m trying to help you here! And age is just a number, I’m close enough to 21 that it doesn’t really matter…”

“You 26.” Geno’s deep voice echoed through the kitchen as he walked in with an empty glass in his hand.
Freezing into place, Oksana went completely ridged before her head snapped around in Geno’s direction. She shot him a look of complete disdain and intimidation, stopping him in his tracks. “What?” He chocked out, his eyes never moving from her icy glare.

She held her position, staring him down for a solid minute before she spoke; her eyes never loosing their intensity. “I’m never having sex with you again.”

“What?! I no say… Ya ni gavaryu pa English!” She continued to glare at him until he sighed, shaking his head as he turned around and headed back into the living room; all thoughts of refilling his drink, forgotten under her stern gaze.
She watched him move around the room and sit down again, before she turned back around to me.

"I take it back... don't ever date a Russian." I couldn’t help but laugh as she tried to keep the smile off her face. Rolling her eyes she got up out of the chair. “You need to do what’s good for you babe… just tell Alex, see what happens. You don’t have to tell anyone, anything until you want to.”

I nodded in agreement, wondering whether or not I’d follow her advice once I was back in Washington; face-to-face with Alex.

7 comments:

  1. Great update!! Wow, she really needs to have a talk with Sid about how she feels. She can't keep leading him on thinking that there is something there between them. Poor guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It felt surreal, like I had been gone for less than an hour, and a million years all at once."
    ^^That is so true. I know exactly what that feels like. You captured it perfectly.

    Okay, Sidney was so cute in decorating her room. But the boy is clueless. It's obvious she doesn't want to be alone with him... but then again, she DOES just need to fess up and come clean that she doesn't like him like him.

    And Oksana is right, in that she should just go for it. She is wise for her 26, er, 21 years! Bahaha, sorry, I had to do that! This was such a good chapter, and I can't wait to see if she decided to tell either of the boys how she feels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness i feel like you r trying to make me die a slow death of antcipation...
    but i love you anyways =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah poor Geno! ALWAYS say 21 if a woman could pass for that age! silly Ruski!

    And Jay and Cathy are right. Jes NEEDS to tell Sid... It's just not fair. And she'll feel better once she does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bahahahahahaha I love Oksana and Geno in this chapter!!!! They are so cute and funny. And Oksana is right, she needs to talk to Alex and tell Sid but talk to Alex first cause right now I like him better :D But I have this horrible feeling she will get back to DC and he will have a new girlfriend, jeez I hope this isn't true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It actually made me like Oksana haha :D

    Such a good update :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "don't ever date a Russian." NO KIDDING, freakin' crazy ass men. hahahaha.

    Oh Geno, you crack me up. And um.... OKSANA FTW!!!

    So I have a question, can I be there when Jes breaks Sid's heart? I mean, I know how to use a broom, I can sweep up the broken pieces and super glue them together. A broken Sid is better than no Sid.

    Sid - 50%
    Ovie - 50%

    ReplyDelete