Friday, November 27, 2009

#11 - Hey Jealousy

Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms(Cover)


“I’m sorry, your girlfriend?” I spat, taking a step back from him. I felt winded, like someone had sucker punched me in the gut. I knew I was over reacting; I had no reason to get this upset. I definitely didn’t like Alex, so it made no sense for my body to be responding like this.

My hands were clenched into tight fists at my side, nails digging into the palms of my hands. “Yah. What?” He looked so confused, like he honestly couldn’t figure out why I was so pissed off.

“Did you not just ask me out on a date?” I demanded, biting my lip as doubt started to take over. Maybe he didn’t mean it as a date… maybe he just wanted to be friends… Oh my God, it wasn’t a date. I’m a complete idiot!
Then why the ring? What kind of guy buys an expensive ring if he isn’t… UGH! Because he’s Alex Ovechkin and money has no meaning to him.


Alex raised his eyebrows, humour on his face as he appraised me. “You’re jealous of her?” He asked, smugness rolling of him in waves. Okay, maybe he did mean it as a date…

“No.” I stated incredulity. “I just thought she might be angry if she knew.”

He shrugged. “What’s it to her? She doesn’t care what I do.” Pathetic, I thought, not sure if I was referring to him or to her. I shook my head, turning on my heel and moving back through the maze of hallways. “Jespin! Wait!” He called after me.

“What?” I called over my shoulder, refusing to stop walking.

I heard him let out a frustrated grunt behind me before he jogged after me, catching up to me quickly. “I didn’t mean to make you mad.” He sounded sincere - not his words, but his voice - causing me to finally turn towards him, my anger melting slightly.

“It’s fine you didn’t…” I lied, trying to explain me rash behaviour. “I just don’t like when guys cheat on their girlfriends.”

I watched him mull my words over, finally nodding slightly once he decided they made sense. “Is it cheating if she doesn’t care?”

I chuckled slightly, starting to walk at a slower pace. “Doesn’t it bother you… that she doesn’t care?” He shrugged in response, keeping stride with me. “Well, if had a boyfriend and he was taking other girls out to dinner, I’d be pissed.” I added as an after-thought.

“You’re different than other girls though.”

I started to laugh loudly, venom still audible in the sound. “No I’m not! You apparently just date dumb girls…” Weird, I should be mad at him for being an ass, but she’s the one I wanted to punch…




“Hey Pittsburgh girl… you ready to watch your boys get rocked tonight?” I grinned at Mike as he came around the corner, bonking me lightly on the head with his helmet.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that…” I quipped, earning a mock look of hurt from him.

“Don’t let anyone else hear you say that… you might end up getting shipped back where you came from.”

“Jerk.” I giggled, watching him hobble past me on his skates. I shook my head once he was gone, praying silently that the game would be quick and painless; for everyone involved.

I decided to head down the hallway towards the Pen’s walkway. I hadn’t talked to Sidney yet but, I figured it was time to find out where I should meet him after the game. “Where you sneaking off to?”

I sighed as Alex walked out to meet me. “Just running back down to the storage room,” I lied quickly, “why aren’t you getting ready to go out?”

“Few minutes left…” He explained, giving me a small smirk. I stood rooted in place for a few uncomfortable heartbeats before coach started yelling for the boys to get in the dressing room for the pep talk.

“Well bye!” I half yelled, glad for any excuse that got me away from Alex. It wasn’t even so much that I didn’t like him - he was actually starting to grow on me a bit - it was more that I always felt uncomfortable when I was around him. I wasn’t sure if it was because I could just imagine how angry Sidney would be about it, or if there was more to it. Something in the way he stared at me…


It wasn’t hard to get through security; they didn’t try to stop me, but they did give me weird looks - Caps employee running down the visitor hallways. I rounded the last corner, just in time to see the boys moving towards the ice. “Sidney!” I yelled, once he came into view, earning curious looks from almost everyone.

“Jes!” He grinned in response, causing a hold-up in the line when he stopped walking to embrace me. “I was wondering when I’d see you.” He whispered into my ear with a husky voice - the voice that should have sent shivers up my spin, but didn‘t tonight. He meant it to sound seductive, I could tell by the smile in his eyes; but it caused me to grimace - Alex’s face appearing in my mind for no particular reason.

“Hey guys!” I sighed, pulling away from Sidney as some of the other boys made their way over.

“I’d hug you, but… I think I’d lose all my self-respect if I touched a girl in a Caps shirt.” Max laughed, reaching out a big hand to ruffle my hair.

“Right, cause you have so much self-respect now.” Billy quipped, moving past us towards the ice. Max grinned in response, taking off after him.

I stood next to Sidney in silence as the rest of the team began filing out once more; until we were alone. “So, what’s the plan for tonight?” I asked quickly, knowing that I was running out of time.

“How about you meet us back here after the game? We’ll go grab some food and then head back to your place?”

“Alright, sounds good. Gotta go…” I added, glancing over my shoulder. Sidney scooped my up in one arm, pulling me against his fully geared chest. “Sidney…” I mumbled, trying to move away as his lips gently touched mine.

“It’s alright,” he assured me once he moved away, “no one saw.” I nodded mutely; that had only been part of my hesitation.



I finished up as fast as I could without drawing attention to myself. I felt like I was about to commit a murder, as I moved around the locker room - convinced everyone was watching me. Only one person was.
Alex was usually so focused on himself, it was almost unnerving to feel his eyes following me as I went about my work. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised; thanks to these tight pants and low cut shirts - it was a wonder not all the guys gawked.
There was something else though tonight, something different; he wasn’t watching me with his usual smug buoyancy. There was uncertainty in his blue eyes. “Alright Ben, that’s everything right there.” I said quietly, handing Ben the folder of everything I had done tonight. He nodded, taking it from me and flipping it open.

“Ok… everything looks good. Got a date tonight or something?” He asked, smiling at me earnestly.

“Oh… no.” I said quickly, my eyes darting towards Alex for a quick second. Judging by the intent look on his face, he was listening. “Just going out with a friend.”

“A male friend?” Georgia chimed in, handing her own file off to Ben.

I bit my lip. “Yah…” I said slowly, trying to keep the colour out of my cheeks. “See you guys tomorrow.”

I didn’t look back as I headed out of the door, all but running down the hall towards Sidney. I wasn’t sure why I felt so awkward about the whole thing; I wasn’t really doing anything wrong - it wasn’t like I’d actual get in trouble with the organization for spending time with my father‘s team. I tried to remind myself of that as I sped towards the visitor’s exit. Ideas threatening the back of my mind, ideas I tried to ignore; ones that suggested I was feeling guilty because of new feelings and not my job.



I groaned as Jordan dived onto my couch, listening to the sound of it dragging against the hardwood; his weight moving it back a foot. Max jumped down beside him, followed by Gogo. “Come on guys! Don’t break anything, ok?” I pleaded, flashing Sidney a worried glance. “How did this even turn into an idea?”

He shrugged his shoulders, laughing slightly as the guys turned the Xbox on; already fighting over teams for NHL. “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure everything’s in one piece when we leave tomorrow.”
I nodded in thanks, heading towards the storage closet and pulling out a couple sleeping bags.

“Two of you are gonna have to use these, the other can have the couch.” I yelled at them, hurling the sleeping bags in their direction.

“What’s that?” Sidney asked, coming up beside me and grabbing my hand. His thumb traced around Alex’s ring, causing my heart rate to accelerate.

“Oh, just a ring…”

“I’ve never seen it before.” He said thoughtfully, “Is it new?”

I nodded slowly, staring down at the shiny, expensive ring that was firmly nestled on my right hand. “Yah it is. I just got it the other day… it was a gift”

He chuckled slightly, “That makes more sense, for a second there I was worried. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you wear anything so flamboyant… it’s huge!” I narrowed my eyes, pulling my hand back. “Who‘s it from?” He added, looking up at me.

“Mom.“ I lied quickly, feeling my face turn a dark shade of read. “And there’s nothing wrong with it… I happen to like it, a lot.” I snapped, clutching my right hand against my chest.

Sidney looked up at me, apologetic. “Sorry… I didn’t mean- it’s just not something I would have imagined you wearing. The things you wear are usually so much more… modest.” He said slowly, trying to be extra careful with his words.

“It’s fine… I’m sorry for snapping. It’s been a long day.” I explained quietly, shaking my head slightly as I dropped my hands back down to my sides. He shrugged, giving me a lopsided grin.

“Well, maybe we should get you to bed then…” He said softly, placing a hand on my lower back and moving me towards the stairs. I felt my mouth drop open slight; I can’t sleep with him again… I thought fearfully, trying to figure out how to avoid that scenario without hurting his feelings.

He chuckled, misinterpreting my expression. “Don’t worry… I promise they won’t hear anything.” He whispered into my neck, his tongue moving up towards my ear. I swallowed hard as he pulled back, staring up at him with pleading eyes. “I promise.” He said again, grabbing onto my hand firmly and dragging me up the stairs behind him.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe she's falling for Ovie's crap!
    She's going to get burned.
    Why lie to Sid about the ring?I mean if she doesn't want Sid why not be upfront right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sid! I think he is going to get hurt by her so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Jespin's feeling so confused! Ovie's a mystery. He acts like he likes her and he's definitely pursuing *something* with her... and what girl doesn't like to be pursued? He's dangerous, a bad boy, and chicks dig that.

    And what's that saying, nice guys finish last? Sid's the ultimate nice guy. Jes knows that she should like him, but you can't help who you like, Jespin.

    What a cliffhanger! I can't wait to see what happens now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Sid... His poor innocent little heart is gonna get crushed. For Ovie! Sigh...

    I completely agree with Jay. Nice guys do finish last... And poor Sid is just too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand these boys. Mainly just Ovechkin. What is he playing at? Like he's got to have an angle or something, I'm just not sure what it is.

    Also, she desperately needs to let Sidney down soon. I'm starting to pity him but I'm also starting to pity Jespin a bit because she's bound to get hurt no matter what.

    Great chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my heart is breaking for pooor sidney..she needs to tell him...gently.and AFTER the game.
    i feel bad about this but i am liking jespin less and less...maybe im just jealous.i dont know.

    Great update anyway..except for the part where you leave us hanging..I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!
    maybe..since tomorrow is saturday,you could post in the morning..or even the afternoon.=]
    *wink**wink*
    thanx

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, really?!?!!

    Sid 99%
    Ovie 1% <~ freakin miracle right there.

    I'll be happy to take Sid to bed, take him right off her hands. No more worries.

    I can't believe you have me rooting for Ovie. That;s how freakin amazing this is.

    ReplyDelete